On the Waiheke Island Art Walk you’ll experience the best of what Waiheke has to offer – visiting galleries, sculpture parks, artist studios and lunching at a spectacular property where one of the island’s many artists lives and works.
Our Art Walk takes approximately five hours, and is done at a very leisurely pace so you can enjoy both the art and the scenery around you. By being surrounded by such creativity and the beauty of nature, you will come away feeling inspired by what you have seen, the artists you have met and the beauty and views you have enjoyed while wandering through bush tracks and local roads.
ABOUT THIS WALK
- Start: 9:45am / Finish: 3pm
- Starts and finishes at the Waiheke Community Art Gallery, Ocean View Road, Oneroa
- Visit local Oneroa art galleries including an artists’ collective, the community art gallery, an artist goldsmith and hear from the artists and gallery staff
- Visit the local sculpture park and learn about the sculptures
- Visit glass artists, an artisan shoemaker, painters’ studios
- Lunch at Church Bay studio, the spectacular home and studio of Gabriella Lewenz overlooking Church Bay
- Walk back through the Atawhai-Whenua Forest & Bird Reserve to the Community Gallery where we finish
I did the Art Walk on Waiheke last weekend and really enjoyed it. Michael and Justine, our guides, were friendly and enthusiastic about the island and its many artists. We visited the art gallery and other art storefronts, but they also brought us to the homes of various artists who I would not have known to visit on my own, and we had lunch at the beautiful home of artist Gabriella Lewenz. On top of all this we did quite a bit of walking. Michael also gave me lots of ideas for other activities while on the island, which I really appreciated.
We’ve all been there, looking at some art and wondering about the story behind the art. Wouldn’t it be great if we could meet the artist and actually find out? Take this tour and you will!
Gabriella and Justine drove us to artists’ studios where we met the artists themselves and heard wonderful, in-depth stories of the meaning behind several pieces. In several cases we were even given insight into the process the artist uses.
That by itself is excellent, but the ladies readily accommodated one of our party’s physical limitations, customizing the tour’s scope and duration to suit the situation.
A totally gracious attitude was shown, and the amount of fun and learning that we enjoyed in such a short time was amazing! If you’re going to visit Waiheke Island, schedule this tour with this company!
We took the Art Walk yesterday with Michael from Walking by Nature. It was such an enriching day. Michael introduced us to the artists, who were very happy to chat about their work, but were not at all pushy. We really enjoyed the stimulating conversations about creating art and the creative process. Lunch at Gabriella’s was relaxing, welcoming and delicious. We would highly recommend this unique experience.
- Fantastic scenic walk with expert guiding and interpretation
- Lunch at artist’s home and studio
- Ferry fares
- Transport to Oneroa
WHAT TO BRING
- Walking shoes
- Day pack
- Money for art purchases
If there is anything at all that you need to know, please contact us – we are happy to help!