Waiheke Island Art Walk (5 hours)
Waiheke Island has been known as an island that supports a lively creative community for many years now and has a wonderful range of artists who make their home here.
On the Waiheke Island Art Walk you’ll experience the best of what Waiheke has to offer – visiting galleries, sculpture parks, artist studios and lunching at a spectacular property where one of the island’s many artists lives and works.
Our Art Walk takes approximately five hours, and is done at a very leisurely pace so you can enjoy both the art and the scenery around you. You will come away feeling inspired by what you have seen, the artists you have met and the beauty you have enjoyed while wandering through bush tracks and local roads.
ABOUT THIS WALK
- Start (2 options):
9:45am at the Ferry Wharf, Matiatia, Waiheke Island or
10:00am at the Community Art Gallery, Ocean View Road, Oneroa (ideal if you are already on Waiheke)
When leaving the ferry, look for your guide who will be standing on your left just before you enter the Ferry Terminal. Your guide will be holding a Walking By Nature sign.
- Finish: 3:00pm (approximate) at the Ferry Wharf or the Community Art Gallery
- Maximum number of walkers: 8 plus guide
- We also offer a Private Art Walk for groups of 2-8
- Visit art galleries in Oneroa, including an artists’ collective, the Community Art Gallery and an artist goldsmith
- Meet artists and gallery staff
- Visit the local sculpture park and learn about this fascinating outdoor art
- Visit sculptor and painter studios and an artisan shoemaker
- Have lunch at Church Bay Studio, the spectacular home of painter Gabriella Lewenz (tour price includes lunch)
- Walk through the Atawhai-Whenua Forest & Bird Reserve
I loved my walking tour with Justine! We visited a specially curated selection of art galleries and studios in artists homes. It was delightful to meet the various artists and see their creative spaces. After a delicious lunch at one of the studios, the tour shifted to the exploration of local nature, birds and trees along one of Waiheke’s many walking trails. Justine’s knowledge of both the art and nature of the island was so impressive, and it was a pleasure to spend a few hours with her on my visit. Two thumbs up for this experience!
I did the Art Walk on Waiheke last weekend and really enjoyed it. Michael and Justine, our guides, were friendly and enthusiastic about the island and its many artists. We visited the art gallery and other art storefronts, but they also brought us to the homes of various artists who I would not have known to visit on my own, and we had lunch at the beautiful home of artist Gabriella Lewenz. On top of all this we did quite a bit of walking. Michael also gave me lots of ideas for other activities while on the island, which I really appreciated.
We took the Art Walk yesterday with Michael from Walking by Nature. It was such an enriching day. Michael introduced us to the artists, who were very happy to chat about their work, but were not at all pushy. We really enjoyed the stimulating conversations about creating art and the creative process. Lunch at Gabriella’s was relaxing, welcoming and delicious. We would highly recommend this unique experience.
- Fantastic scenic walk with expert guiding and interpretation
- Lunch at artist’s home and studio
- Ferry fares
WHAT TO BRING
- Comfortable shoes
- Sun glasses, hat, sunscreen
- Raincoat (depending on forecast)
- Money for art purchases
If there is anything at all that you need to know, please contact us – we are happy to help!
SEE AVAILABILITY and
BOOK THIS WALK
Not sure which walk to book?
See availability of all our walks