Vineyards and Bush Walk – Western End
This spectacular walk has a little bit of everything – bush, beach, headlands and vineyards.
We start with a walk through restored and regenerating bush up to the headland for some breathtaking views of the islands of the Hauraki Gulf.
We continue through lush, established bush tracks and rolling hills, where you’ll enjoy lovely views of valleys, vineyards and the sea.
ABOUT THIS WALK
- Catch the 9:00am Fullers ferry from downtown Auckland (trip to Waiheke takes approx 35 minutes)
- Start: 9:45am, Ferry Wharf in Matiatia, Waiheke Island
- Finish: 3:00pm, Ferry Wharf in Matiatia
- Maximum number of walkers: 8 plus guide
- Enjoy stunning views of the Hauraki Gulf Islands, Great Barrier Island and Coromandel Peninsula.
- Spot sea birds, native plants and, if you’re lucky, orcas or dolphins.
- Explore Atawhai Whenua Forest and Bird and Pio Rehutai Reserves while learning about our regenerating native bush and conservation projects on Waiheke.
- Learn about the history and ecology of the Hauraki Gulf and Waiheke Island.
- Walk through rolling hills to Mudbrick Vineyard and Cable Bay Vineyards to sample their award-winning wines or enjoy a coffee and a bite to eat.
Our guide, Tracy with Walking by Nature did an excellent job!! She shared history of the island, guided us through trails on the Headland Coastal area, through forest trails, and several beaches. She was very knowledgeable about life on the island, birds, trees and plants. We visited the Mud Brick Vineyard, and had our lunch on a beautiful beach in the village. She customized our trip for our interests and abilities. We definitely recommend this tour and Tracy, as our guide!
We are a “mature”couple” who enjoy nature and exploring. Our guide Tracey was fantastic. She was patient, professional, very well informed and very personable. I must mention that the walk is very hilly so it probably was a bit too challenging for my husband but he was still very happy to have done it. Tracey was so kind and caring, making the experience well worth it. Ending up at Mudbrick winery was a treat.
Thank you Tracey and thank you Walking by Nature for giving us such a great memory of Waiheke Island.
Had an excellent day with Tracey. She was well informed about Waiheke Island and it was a pleasure to get to know her and learn how from her.
- Fantastic scenic walk with expert guiding and interpretation
- Ferry fares
- Lunch and wine tasting
WHAT TO BRING
- Comfortable shoes
- Sunglasses, hat, sunscreen
- Raincoat (depending on forecast)
- Money for wine tasting and food
If there is anything at all that you need to know, please contact us – we are happy to help!
SEE AVAILABILITY and
BOOK THIS WALK
Not sure which walk to book?
See availability of all our walks