Waiheke Island Private Art Walk (5 hours)
Waiheke Island is an artsy and creative place. On the Waiheke Island Private Art Walk you’ll enjoy a personalised tour of galleries, sculpture parks and artist studios.
This tour is available for groups of 2-8, and we’ll design it to suit your interests and requirements.
Your tour price includes lunch at the spectacular home and studio of painter Gabriella Lewenz.
Our Private Art Walk takes approximately five hours, and is done at a very leisurely pace, suitable for a variety of fitness levels. so you can enjoy both the art and the scenery around you.
After being surrounded by such creativity, plus the beauty of nature, you will come away feeling refreshed and inspired.
ABOUT THIS WALK
- Start (2 options):
9:45am at the Ferry Wharf, Matiatia, Waiheke Island or
10:00am at the Community Art Gallery, Ocean View Road, Oneroa (ideal if you are already on Waiheke)
When leaving the ferry, look for your guide who will be standing on your left just before you enter the Ferry Terminal. Your guide will be holding a Walking By Nature sign.
- Finish: 3:00pm (approximate) at the Ferry Wharf or the Community Art Gallery
- Maximum number of walkers: 8 plus guide
- Travelling independently? We also offer a daily Art Walk (not a private tour)
- Visit art galleries in Oneroa, including an artists’ collective, the Community Art Gallery and an artist goldsmith
- Meet artists and gallery staff
- Visit the local sculpture park and learn about this fascinating outdoor art
- Visit sculptor and painter studios and an artisan shoemaker
- Have lunch at Church Bay Studio, the spectacular home of painter Gabriella Lewenz (tour price includes lunch)
- Walk through the Atawhai-Whenua Forest & Bird Reserve
The Guardian: New Zealand’s island ruled by artists, July 2011
I did the Art Walk on Waiheke last weekend and really enjoyed it. Michael and Justine, our guides, were friendly and enthusiastic about the island and its many artists. We visited the art gallery and other art storefronts, but they also brought us to the homes of various artists who I would not have known to visit on my own, and we had lunch at the beautiful home of artist Gabriella Lewenz. On top of all this we did quite a bit of walking. Michael also gave me lots of ideas for other activities while on the island, which I really appreciated.
We’ve all been there, looking at some art and wondering about the story behind the art. Wouldn’t it be great if we could meet the artist and actually find out? Take this tour and you will!
Gabriella and Justine drove us to artists’ studios where we met the artists themselves and heard wonderful, in-depth stories of the meaning behind several pieces. In several cases we were even given insight into the process the artist uses.
That by itself is excellent, but the ladies readily accommodated one of our party’s physical limitations, customizing the tour’s scope and duration to suit the situation.
A totally gracious attitude was shown, and the amount of fun and learning that we enjoyed in such a short time was amazing! If you’re going to visit Waiheke Island, schedule this tour with this company!
We took the Art Walk yesterday with Michael from Walking by Nature. It was such an enriching day. Michael introduced us to the artists, who were very happy to chat about their work, but were not at all pushy. We really enjoyed the stimulating conversations about creating art and the creative process. Lunch at Gabriella’s was relaxing, welcoming and delicious. We would highly recommend this unique experience.
Private group walk
Minimum 2, maximum 8
Not recommended for children under 15
- Fantastic scenic walk with expert guiding and interpretation
- Lunch at artist’s home and studio
- Ferry fares
WHAT TO BRING
- Comfortable shoes
- Sun glasses, hat, sunscreen
- Raincoat (depending on forecast)
- Money for art purchases
Please contact us – we’re happy to help!
BOOK THIS WALK
Not sure which walk to book?
See availability of all our walks