Waiheke Island Double Headland Walk (5 hours)
We begin by greeting you as soon as you step off the ferry. Straight away you’ll be drawn in by the gorgeous scenery and beautiful coastal environment.
This walk consists of two parts, with lunch in between. Sometimes we do the northern route first, and sometimes the southern. Why is that? Well, we often need to work around the tides!
Please book well in advance as this is one of our most popular walks and gets booked up!
ABOUT THIS WALK
- Catch the 9:00am Fullers ferry from downtown Auckland (the trip to Waiheke takes approx 35 minutes).
- Walk starts: 9:45am, Ferry Wharf in Matiatia
When leaving the ferry, look for your guide who will be standing on your left just before you enter the Ferry Terminal. Your guide will be holding a Walking By Nature sign.
- Walk ends: 3:00pm, Ferry Wharf in Matiatia
- Maximum number of walkers: 8 plus guide
- Northern route (approx 2 hours): We’ll walk around the Matiatia headland and past Owhanake Bay, enjoying beautiful views of the Hauraki Gulf Islands, Great Barrier Island and Coromandel Peninsula.
- You’ll spot sea birds, native plants and, if you’re lucky, orcas or dolphins.
- Learn about the history and ecology of the Hauraki Gulf and Waiheke Island, its conservation projects and island life.
- We’ll stop for lunch at Oneroa Village. You can eat in one of the local cafes or have a picnic on the beach with food you’ve purchased or brought with you.
- Southern route (approx 2 hours): We’ll walk through Pio Rehutai Reserve and around the Church Bay headland through a sculpture park and a stunning bush reserve. We’ll pass hidden coves and amazing homes, as we enjoy view of the city and sea.
Beautiful walk around Waiheke Island. My guide was great. She quickly assessed my fitness level and tailored the walk to what was just right for me. She pointed out the native plants and told me the history and some of the medicinal purposes. We stopped in at a few shops and galleries meeting artists and some of the local islanders. Lunch was purchased at one of the shops which was healthy and perfect for the day.
I had the opportunity to do the Double Headland Coastal Walk – it was an amazing trek through local bush as well as opportunity to see stunning vistas, both across the coast as well as inland. My guide was a joy and made sure I got the most of the out walk and tailored it based on my interests.
I would highly recommend this walk for anyone who likes hikes that are a little challenging but also offer unforgettable sights.
My family and I did this tour on our second day in Auckland and had an amazing time. The island is absolutely beautiful and our guide, Tracy was very knowledgeable about the island, nature, and wildlife. She was so sweet and made the experience very enjoyable. The walk itself had some hills but was very doable (I wore jeans and was fine). Nonetheless, the tour can be customized based on the needs of the group. Overall, we all had a great time and would definitely recommend!
- Fantastic scenic walk and expert guiding
- Walking maps
- Return transfers to the ferry (or your island accommodation)
- Ferry fares
- Lunch (please bring your own or purchase something from one of the shops or cafes when we stop for lunch)
WHAT TO BRING
- Comfortable shoes
- Sun glasses, hat, sunscreen
- Raincoat (depending on forecast)
- Lunch, if you wish to picnic on the beach
If there is anything at all that you need to know, please contact us – we are happy to help!
SEE AVAILABILITY and
BOOK THIS WALK
Not sure which walk to book?
See availability of all our walks