This lovely walk, based around the tranquil Te Whau Peninsula and Rocky Bay, brings together the best of the bush and the beach.
You get to experience some of the best forest reserves on the island, including the magnificent Pohutukawa trees and Nikau Palms of the Whakanewha Regional Park, Glenbrook Reserve and Te Whau peninsula.
Learn about the birdlife on the island, including the protected dotterel nesting grounds, before stopping for a rest down at the beach, where there is time for a swim or to eat your picnic lunch.
ABOUT THIS WALK
- Start: 9:45am / Finish: 3pm
- Starts and finishes at Matiatia ferry dock
- Visit some of the island’s amazing trees including magnificent Pohutukawas and Nikau Palms
- Visit Te Whau Peninsula with fabulous views of the island and back to Auckland
- Explore the tracks of Whakanewha Regional Park and learn about the protected dotterel nesting grounds
- Learn more about island life in the Rocky Bay area
- Finish in time for a swim or packed lunch along the beach
The Island is located at 40 mins far from Auckland Pier by ferry!
Just take a bike and follow your instinct, there is some hidden beaches, pristine one, so nature, so clear water and so pleasant to swim at relax on it, there is some trails with amazing view, I felt like Robinson. Superb day, so genuine!
It was one of the best trip I’ve ever had! Louis is a perfect guide – so friendly and professional. His knowledge about Waiheke Island, flora, fauna, culture is really impressive. And the views – AMAZING!
I really recommend that trip! I’ll be back as soon as it possible!
What a wonderful day. The Bush walk was fantastic and Louis was a great guide, with A LOT of interesting information about Waiheke in general and specifically about the bush flora and fauna. I was blown away when we actually saw a Kaka (tearing up the bark on a tree). I will definitely need to come back and see more of Waiheke Island.
- Fantastic scenic walk with expert guiding and interpretation
- Pick up from Oneroa 30 mins prior, for those who require it
- Ferry fares
WHAT TO BRING
- Walking shoes
- Day pack
- Lunch if you wish to picnic on the beach
If there is anything at all that you need to know, please contact us – we are happy to help!