Waiheke Island Bush and Beach Walk – Rocky Bay
This 5-hour walk around tranquil Te Whau Peninsula and Rocky Bay combines the best of Waiheke Island bush and beaches. Fabulous coastal views, seabird nesting grounds and lush forest trails will make this an adventure to remember!
Experience some of the most majestic forest reserves on the island, including the magnificent Pohutukawa trees and Nikau Palms of the Whakanewha Regional Park, Glenbrook Reserve and Te Whau peninsula.
Learn about birdlife on the island, including the protected dotterel nesting grounds, before stopping for a rest at the beach, where there is time for a swim or to eat your picnic lunch.
ABOUT THIS WALK
- Catch the 9:00am Fullers ferry from downtown Auckland (trip to Waiheke takes approx 35 minutes)
- Start: 9:45am, Ferry Wharf in Matiatia (or contact us to arrange free 9:15am pickup in Oneroa).
When leaving the ferry, look for your guide who will be standing on your left just before you enter the Ferry Terminal. Your guide will be holding a Walking By Nature sign.
- Finish: 3:00pm, Ferry Wharf in Matiatia
- Maximum number of walkers: 8
- Visit some of the island’s amazing trees including magnificent Pohutukawas and Nikau Palms
- Enjoy scenic Te Whau Peninsula with fabulous views of the island and back to Auckland
- Explore the tracks of Whakanewha Regional Park and learn about the protected dotterel nesting grounds
- Learn more about island life in the Rocky Bay area
- Finish in time for a swim or packed lunch at the beach
It was one of the best trip I’ve ever had! Louis is a perfect guide – so friendly and professional. His knowledge about Waiheke Island, flora, fauna, culture is really impressive. And the views – AMAZING!
I really recommend that trip! I’ll be back as soon as it possible!
What a wonderful day. The Bush walk was fantastic and Louis was a great guide, with A LOT of interesting information about Waiheke in general and specifically about the bush flora and fauna. I was blown away when we actually saw a Kaka (tearing up the bark on a tree). I will definitely need to come back and see more of Waiheke Island.
- Fantastic scenic walk with expert guiding and interpretation
- Pick up from Oneroa 30 mins prior, for those who require it
- Ferry fares
WHAT TO BRING
- Comfortable shoes
- Sunglasses, hat, sunscreen
- Raincoat (depending on forecast)
- Lunch if you wish to picnic on the beach
If there is anything at all that you need to know, please contact us – we are happy to help!
SEE AVAILABILITY and
BOOK THIS WALK
Not sure which walk to book?
See availability of all our walks