Walking by Nature is committed to managing and developing its business in a sustainable manner and to minimising the environmental impact of its activities.
We are also committed to actively working to conserve the unique environment that we work in.
- We minimise the use of plastic in our operations.
- We measure and minimise our carbon footprint.
- We educate our clients about conservation on Waiheke Island and in the Hauraki Gulf.
- Gabrielle Young, our founder, is Chair of Project Forever Waiheke, an organisation committed to sustainable community and tourism development on Waiheke Island.
- We actively work on conservation in our own backyard. Gabrielle started Friends of Hekerua which looks after Department of Conservation reserve and council land in the Hekerua Bay catchment. She runs a stoat-trapping and rat-baiting programme there, which is part of Predator Free Waiheke, and our team actively volunteers on this project.
- Walking by Nature has also been involved in community planting days and reforestation projects including Awaawaroa catchment to protect the giant banded Kokopu.